Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Forum:Template creation and testing
Forum index > Template creation and testing
Hi everyone, I need your advices on the following: I'm still looking to create this Coord tooltip template but I need to do some tests and it will be much easier to do them directly on this wiki. Have you any policy or specific Namespace where you put "dev templates" or can i just create it or them directly in the template Namespace? Zophar 10:42, 7 March 2012 (UTC)
- Directly in the template namespace is fine. Be sure to update the template documentation once you get it working. Good luck! -- 12:02, 7 March 2012 (UTC)
- As for the template itself, I began adding a placeholder to many articles just in case someone should add functionality like this in the future. If you add it to Template:Loc the tooltips should be added to several mission articles immediately. Additionally many of the NPC and Mob articles I've written include this template within the infobox. The parameter currently produces no output, but it would be a simple matter to flip a switch and turn it on.
- That's a nice idea indeed. Well I'm not expert on those mediawiki JS features BUT the answer is perhaps in Gadgets Extension (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Gadgets). It permits to enable/disable those Gadgets through each user preferences. I already experience it on MediaWiki main site (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Preference) and I'm able to enable/disable some new features (Code editing, new tools, etc...). So I think it's quiet easy to implement. Zophar 15:48, 7 March 2012 (UTC)
- No worries; I'm attempting to think of a way to allow the functionality without the addition of a new extension; we've not had much luck getting extensions added to the project in the past. -- Heaven's Agent 20:49, 7 March 2012 (UTC)
- Have a look at this page : http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/User:Eleazaros/tooltip.js Well it's seems possible to do exactly what you want. Zophar 20:56, 7 March 2012 (UTC)
- That does seem to be what I'm looking for. Now I've just got to figure out how it works, and how to adapt it so that it functions here. If it even needs adapting; I can't tell. :P
- Thanks for the link. -- Heaven's Agent 21:21, 7 March 2012 (UTC)
- Well it's easy to implement a small PortletLink (see mw.util.addPortletLink) to add a link to the toolbox menu and enable/disable the needed flag. I'll give a shot soon on this one once i've finished the tooltip coords. Zophar 22:15, 7 March 2012 (UTC)