Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Forum:DarthHater Database still relevant?
Forum index > DarthHater Database still relevant?
Hi, I was wondering about the need to paste DarthHater Database link on every page we create. I mean most of this DB is not up-to-date and the informations maybe confusing with the actual data. Just for example i've created this page yesterday evening Ba'teil. Have a look at the DarhHater DB link... it's a joke?
Should we stop to add that kind of link (Which has no real added value for this wiki)? Zophar 11:55, 13 March 2012 (UTC)
- We include the link because DarthHaterDB is a sister project. We're both Curse Network projects and the links are how we support their efforts.
- You make an excellent point. The entry you mention, and many like it, have reflected incorrect information from day one. Some progress has been made to correct these errors but in many instances they remain unchanged. That said, a database link of some sort is needed in articles. Some people prefer databases to wikis, and some simply like to reference both types of resources. We'd be doing our users a disservice if we didn't include a database link. I will admit, I am upset that our efforts to get the DB to link to this project in return has fallen on deaf ears. We still need to include a database link, though, and though there are superior databases to be found we have no choice in what we link to.
- Whenever you notice something like this my recommendation is to bring it up on the DarthHaterDB Feedback thread, on the DarthHater forums. All we can hope for is that the folks running the database listen to the errors brought up and address them quickly. -- Heaven's Agent 13:27, 13 March 2012 (UTC)
- Hum... I'm sorry to tell that but I already spend a lot of time editing this wiki and for sure don't want to register and update the other DB on the other side. I know it's sad but I prefer to focus on this one.
- Now I've another question concerning ":Data:items/" Namespace. I'll take the following example General Medpac which use a template to "import" data on this item page. Question is: Should we let this link between item page and ":Data:items/" (Import for DB) or, once we've verified the information, re-edit with the correct/updated information without the link like on this page: D-Package Implant Processor? Zophar 13:40, 15 March 2012 (UTC)
- That's fine; the DB is a sister project, but it's also a separate project. There's no reason for you to feel obligated to try and improve it.
- Verify and format the page without the link. The data namespace was simply a dump of DarthHaterDB's items, in order to get something on the project when our users search for an item's name. There are a lot of errors inherent in those imported articles, and we can do a much better job of documenting the game if we replace them with content we verify first hand. -- Heaven's Agent 14:04, 15 March 2012 (UTC)
- Exactly what I wanted to heard (about the link to replace with our own verifications). I really appreciate your help/commentaries Heaven's and Alianin. You're doing a good job on this wiki. Zophar 14:11, 15 March 2012 (UTC)
- Hi guys! I wanted to address some of your concerns here. First of all, the data base information comes from information available client-side only. So, any information that is server-side is not available to them (as a general rule). As for links from the db to the wiki, this is something that we wanted, and tried to implement, however, legalities with the contract with DH appear to have stopped it from happening. It's not that we are deaf to your requests. Our links to the DB are a courtesy...not a requirement. -- Wynthyst 19px talk 15:17, 15 March 2012 (UTC)
I view the DB links are a requirement, but it's one we placed on ourselves. We really do need to include DB links if we want to present a complete documentation of the game to our users.
The way you said that, Wyn, does bring up a question: can we link to other databases, in addition to DarthHaterDB? I could see relevant articles supporting 2-3 DB links, thereby allowing users that wish to use a DB to utilize us as a hub and connect to their choice of select projects. For example, TORHead has managed to gather and display information that DarhHaterDB has been unable to obtain, while at the same time DarthHaterDB is pursuing applications that TORHead is ignoring. If we were to provide links to both projects our users could easily benefit from the unique innovations these DBs boast. -- Heaven's Agent 15:50, 15 March 2012 (UTC)
- I think the important thing here is that we have a unified consensus as to what we use. DarthHaterDB is one we're already using and can keep and TORHead is another big one within the game community. Are these the two we want to use? Any other one we want to include? I don't want to include too many as they would have to be added by hand since there is no consistent mission or item numbering across the database sites. We also don't want users adding links to flavor of the week sites.-- 11:19, 16 March 2012 (UTC)
- If it's something we're allowed to do I'd go with DarthHaterDB and TORHead, yes. They are definitely the best-designed database projects that I know of, and the most popular. -- Heaven's Agent 14:21, 16 March 2012 (UTC)
- Wyn, just to confirm, we're good to go ahead with adding TORHead links to articles, correct? Or am I misreading your posts? -- 20:24, 29 March 2012 (UTC)