I would like to set up the materials section of this page (as well as the other crew skill pages) something like it is below.
I will, of course, work on getting the information and filling in the information for the table as I gather the information from playing SWTOR. Any thoughts on this format?? Should I go ahead and get started with this?? I'm not sure of the proper procedure for getting the OK on doing something like this. Thanks.
- We have a formatted table design we've been using to house this sort of information. You can see it in use on the Synthweaving article; I can build a few templates for this sort of thing once you get going.
- I don't think we'll need to include a "Used to Make" column. The article should already list what crafting skill pairs with the given gathering skill, and often a single material will be used to produce an array of item types. The "Locations" and "From Plant/Animal" column also seem redundant. We might be able to include such information just as easily in a single column, something that links the item to the character levels at which it is currently encountered. Once again the general mechanics of the skill, such as harvesting goods from nodes and the appearance and location of those nodes, should be mentioned in the description of the skill elsewhere in the article.
- I'm also thinking we might want to consider housing this type of information on a subpage to break up the content and improve the article's general readability and design. This is a general thought I've been having about crew skills in general, the result of my pondering on how to better list Synthweaving schematics. -- Heaven's Agent 14:53, 30 December 2011 (UTC)
- I've gone ahead and set up a table to use for materials. Feel free to use on other articles and add information as needed. The Used to Make information is included under the Biochem article and the individual material pages. It'd be too clunky to include in the table. For gathering skills, I think this info is good to include on the main article. For crafting skills, a subpage would work better.
- As a side note, be sure to include your signature on posts you make by typing ~~~~ so we know who you are. -- 16:05, 30 December 2011 (UTC)
Thanks for adding the table. A comment on the order. I think it should be in alphabetical order or if going to put in grade order then the column could be taken out and a subheading for the grade and then alphabetical within the grade. Just let me know which way. On the Location, then should I put the planet and the plant or animal it came from or just the plant or animal and then by linking to through the plant/animal you could find the planet?? Rowa
- I'd say alphabetical within the grade, but that's just me. With the location put the planet and then on source put the plant or animal it came from. -- 21:25, 30 December 2011 (UTC)
- Alphabetical within the grade makes sense as the best automatic order to me as well. I noticed the table is already set up to be sortable, so should someone want to organize it alphabetically that should prove no problem.
- If we list each creature that yields a specific item, the list will quickly grow too large to be manageable. Instead I believe the listed source should simply be "Creature". We should also consider a different method of indicating location; listing each planet or area would also result in a distorted and non-uniform display. -- Heaven's Agent 21:48, 30 December 2011 (UTC)
- I think we need to have more than just "creature". How I even came to this page was because I was trying to find out where to get a particular resource for crafting a stim and could not remember where I got it from. Perhaps a new title heading for the column would be appropriate, but I think we need to have the animal(s) or plant(s) where it can be harvested and/or indicate it can be purchased from a vendor or obtained from a mission. So for Blue Goo it would have Ferocious Bolraida, Blue Nutrient Bud, Colicoid Patriarch. These are the 3 I have found so far and there may be more. Then you would click on these and it would give you the information as to the planet. I have edited the actual page for the Blue Goo so you can see what it looks like. So far, I don't see where we have that many items where it would appear distorted. If need be, just resizing the column could help this. I think it is more important for the information to be helpful and just having "creature" doesn't provide any help for someone who is wanting to know where he/she can find a particular resource item and I think this would be the main reason people would be looking at this page. Rowa
- The problem is there are likely many, many more creature sources than the three you listed for one item. Altering the column width isn't really an option, either, as we have only a limited space in which to work with. Listing all the source creatures in this manner isn't feasible. Instead of including it in a wikitable, which simply is not designed for such use, the lists should be including within a section of the article devoted to each item. I understand the desire for the information you want to include here, but we have to work within the limitations that are inherent to the MediaWiki software. -- Heaven's Agent 07:06, 2 January 2012 (UTC)
- I think I understand what you are saying. And if I am understanding, then I think perhaps we can go back to the original formatting and won't need a table. If I am understanding you correctly, if I were viewing this page, I would click on Green Goo, for example, and when I go to Green Goo it would have the information as to where to get it, i.e. what planets and what plants, animals or missions. If that is the case, then I think all we need to do with this section of the page is put in a subheading for the grade perhaps and then list the materials below it in alphabetical order, or perhaps we don't even need the Grade information and could just list everything in alphabetical order. Then we would just need to discuss the page for the item and the information to be included on that page and the format. Rowa, 1/2/12
- Personally I think it'd be helpful to keep the table and instead of listing the exact items that give the material, list the planet that you can gather it or if it comes from a mission. The more in depth sourcing can be put on the individual item pages. -- 13:32, 4 January 2012 (UTC)
Ok, sounds good to me. That planet/mission information would go under the location column, what would go under the source column or should that be taken out??