We are currently performing an upgrade to our software. This upgrade will bring MediaWiki from version 1.31 to 1.33. While the upgrade is being performed on your wiki it will be in read-only mode. For more information check here.
Forum:Schematics tables feedback
Forum index > Schematics tables feedback
I've been working on building a good structure that we can use to present crafting schematics in a way that's ordered and easily accessible. To facilitate this I've created unique subpages for separate schematic types, linking these subpages together through a navigation template at the top of each page. Basic divisions follow how schematics are broken up in the game UI; each heading in the crafting window would be split into its own subpage, and these subpages are further divided by the basic schematics obtained from trainers or items and those schematics that are obtained through reverse engineering (expanded schematics).
I've implemented an example of this structure at Synthweaving/Schematics. The structure for this particular crew skill is modified even further, pulling the custom-quality schematics into their own subpages as well. What are everyone's thoughts? I want to get some feedback before continuing with the design and implementation of this structure. -- Heaven's Agent 17:15, 4 January 2012 (UTC)
- Overall, I like it and the tables are laid out well. I was confused at first and thought that the main page that you linked was all there was for schematics. I then looked further and found the links at the top to the other lists of schematics (the eyes being drawn to the table of schematics first). If there is a way to clarify that the landing page is just the basic schematics (maybe label the table as "Basic Synthweaving Schematics") that would help. Another thought would be to move the stub to the top (I know we have differing opinions on this) it would help merge the table with the page listings and clarify it further.
- As far as breaking out the reverse engineered schematics on a separate expanded list, I feel that's overkill. The column at the right tells you where the schematic is learned and the lists are already broken down into types of armor, so it's just duplication of effort. Just my thoughts. -- 22:32, 9 January 2012 (UTC)
- The reason I broke the RE schematics out and put them in a separate table is because there are simply so many of them. For each armor and weapon that can be learned from a trainer, and for most of those that can be learned from schematics, there are 18 unique schematics that can be learned through reverse engineering. If this were all part of a single table, we'd be looking at 19 individual rows for each green item that can be crafted. I decided that would be a bit much, and though I prefer complete lists I didn't want to overwhelm the reader when they initially pull up the schematics page; I created secondary articles for more complete lists, which are going to end up being 15-18 times the size of the base schematics once completed.
- We could try to build an additional navigation area within the schematics table itself in addition to the banner. My initial concept used tabbed tables, but I've never been able to figure out how that functionality works. -- Heaven's Agent 23:15, 9 January 2012 (UTC)
- Ah, that makes sense now. Of course once it's fully populated we'd be able to see how cluttered it could get. I can try to figure out a tabbed table. I'll let you know if I can get it working. What would you want under the tabs? The different schematic lists? -- 23:27, 9 January 2012 (UTC)
- Yeah, the different lists was what I was going to try to run with. Since wiki tables are only capable of being sorted by a single parameter at a time, I tried to break them up in a way that sorting by one parameter would be sufficient for user in most instances. -- Heaven's Agent 00:29, 10 January 2012 (UTC)
Item format template[edit source]
Hello, I'm new here but have liked this sites schematic list the best so far and wanted to contribute. INHO, breaking out the lists like you have, with the basic schematic on one page looks very clean. I was thinking that it might be nice to have a tooltip (similar to missions) show up showing the expanded surnames and their additional stats briefly, but in the end that's probably not necessary as everyone will eventually learn the surnames for the items they want in their priority. I've worked on a variety of Wiki's, but I'm far from an expert. I typically copy and add on to others hard work. I was looking for a template for items, crafted items in particular. I looked at the top 5 recipes in my list and while some of the ones from Darthater's database are accurate, some of them appeared to have undergone stat changes. If you could point me to a template or an item that has already been revised with manual data, I could work on updating based on my Crew Skill schematics. And thank you very much for the effort you've put in, I really appreciate your work. Mordcour 15:33, 10 January 2012 (UTC)
- No problem, Mordcour. Glad to have you join us. As you've noted, some of the items that were imported from DH have errors. It was decided that having all item, even if some were inaccurate, was better than slowly adding them one at a time. That said, we are endeavoring to verify each one and correct any inaccuracies whenever possible.
- An example of a complete crafted item would probably be Savant Sash. It includes all relevant sections that such an article is likely to need. You can see variations of these sections' used in the article for Redoubt Savant Sash, one of the schematics obtained by reverse engineering the basic item. Feel free to ask any questions that you might have; the administrative staff is here to help you as needed, and if you ask we're happy to respond. I look forward to your contributions to the project. -- Heaven's Agent 16:19, 10 January 2012 (UTC)