Join The Fan Lab, a private Fandom research community for users in the US and UK where you will be asked to share your opinions on all things gaming and entertainment! Click here to see if you qualify
Common Tech Issues
- 1 Common Tech Problems
- 1.1 🔧 C7 Error & Game Crashes
- 1.2 🔧 C5 Error & Game Crashes
- 1.3 🔑 How to Remove a Security Key
- 1.4 🔧 800x600 Resolution Bug
- 1.5 🔧 If your game shows MISSING GRANNY or weird HOT PINK/AQUA BLUE color
- 1.6 🔧 If you got the game downloaded but it opens to a PINK or BLACK SCREEN
- 1.7 🔧 Using Mac/Wine/Emulator patching issues error 209 or "Certificate Authentication Failed" error in Windows XP or Windows Vista
- 2 Repairing the Launcher/Game
- 3 Fixed Issues
Common Tech Problems[edit | edit source]
🔧 C7 Error & Game Crashes[edit | edit source]
This error is usually related to a missing SWTOR file or video drivers, and may be a Windows 10 issue.
- PlatformInfo.dll may be missing from the Star Wars-The Old Republic\swtor\retailclient directory. See if repairing will fix the missing file, see the "REPAIRING THE LAUNCHER" section below. Otherwise you may need to reinstall the game.
- Drivers and/or directx. Try a manual installation of directx 9.0c. Once that's finished try a "clean installation" of your video card drivers. Go to the AMD/Nvidia website and download them, then run custom install when given the option so you can select clean install.
🔧 C5 Error & Game Crashes[edit | edit source]
This error is usually caused by patch files not being correctly downloaded, sometimes due to spotty internet. To fix it, see the REPAIRING THE LAUNCHER section below.
🔑 How to Remove a Security Key[edit | edit source]
Go to swtor.com and enter in your username and password, and leave the security key blank. Press log in. On the next page click "Lost your security key?" and you will be given instructions to login with a one time password and remove the key. You only need access to the email account attached to your SWTOR Account. More security key info
🔧 800x600 Resolution Bug[edit | edit source]
If your game opens tiny in the corner of your screen log in to the game like normal. Once it loads up, and is tiny or in the corner of your screen, press ALT+ENTER or ALT+ENTER+ENTER. You will then be able to change the resolution of the game to be your proper resolution.
Backup solution if your game opens in the wrong resolution.
Courtesy of u/Dormont As someone using a non 1080 resolution I found that the game keeps changing values in the .ini file. I have to manually find out which one is changed, change it to the correct resolution, then I can launch just fine. The instructions are below: • Press the [Windows] Key + [R] at the same time. • Copy the following in to the text box and press ok: %localappdata%\swtor\swtor\settings • Open the client_settings.ini file and ensure the following are displayed within, or edit/add if so required: Fullscreen = false D3DFullScreen = false RefreshRate = 60 • Check NativeHeight, NativeWidth, Height and Width ( all 4 ) match your monitor resolution. • Save and close the file. • Start the game as normal. • Change graphic settings within the game as desired.
🔧 If your game shows MISSING GRANNY or weird HOT PINK/AQUA BLUE color[edit | edit source]
There is an error in the graphic files of your game that isn't letting the textures load properly, or they were never fully downloaded. This bug has existed for a very long time. To fix it, see the "REPAIRING THE LAUNCHER" section below.
🔧 If you got the game downloaded but it opens to a PINK or BLACK SCREEN[edit | edit source]
🔧 Using Mac/Wine/Emulator patching issues error 209 or "Certificate Authentication Failed" error in Windows XP or Windows Vista[edit | edit source]
This fix by the developers will allow you to continue to access SWTOR until October, 2018. Beyond that, should any other issues crop up for XP or Vista users they will be unable to provide any assistance.
Repairing the Launcher/Game[edit | edit source]
⚙️ To repair the SWTOR launcher, open the launcher, and then if you have the...
- Streaming launcher (default) - If the letters "ST" are present in the lower left corner of the launcher, close the launcher, right mouse click on the game shortcut, select open file location and delete the BitRaider folder. Then start the launcher again. This will cause the game to verify the files and download any missing ones.
- Non-Streaming launcher (if you installed the game from a disc or installed it before 2013) - Log into the launcher but don't click Play. Check for small letters "ST" in the bottom left corner. If this is NOT present, With the new launcher after login, select the username pulldown on the top right and select settings, then press repair.
More info about repairing the launcher and common errors - official guide
Fixed Issues[edit | edit source]
- ✔️ FIXED MAY 31st, 2017: If you have to accept the Terms of Service or EULA every time you log in to the game Source
- ✔️ FIXED JULY 11, 2017: If your game crashes before you can get past the character screen, Windows fixed the issue due to 32-bit apps crashing, update your windows to fix Source
- ✔️ FIXED AUGUST 9, 2017: Certificate Authentication Failed for Windows XP and Vista. Solution